Guacamole is a nutritious, flavor packed and refreshing dish that is perfect to serve as an appetizer or to add as a flavorful side to a meal.
- 3 medium avocados
- 1/3 medium onion finely chopped
- ½ a lime – juiced or 2 teaspoons of lime juice
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 tomato – finely chopped and seeds removed
- 1 small bunch of cilantro leaves, about 2 tablespoons finely chopped, reserving a few leaves for garnish
- 1-2 cloves / 1 teaspoon of garlic – crushed or finely chopped
- ½-1 jalapeno – seeds removed and finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Cut the avocados in half and scoop out the flesh into a medium sized bowl. Set aside one of the seeds.
If all of the avocados are soft enough mash them in the bowl with a fork. Add the lime, salt garlic and jalapeno, and continue to mash together. Add the finely chopped onion and tomato and thoroughly combine with the mashed avocados. If any of the avocados are not quite soft enough to mash with a fork then put those firmer ones in a food processor and briefly blend with the salt, lime, jalapeno, garlic, cilantro, pepper and half of the chopped onion and half of the chopped tomato. Mix in the food processor until blended but not overly smooth then spoon into the bowl with the forked mashed avocados then add in the remainder of the onion and tomato. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with the remaining cilantro leaves. If you won’t be serving the guacamole immediately then place the reserved avocado seed into the bowl and cover the bowl with plastic wrap or other air-tight seal. The seed will help preserve the fresh, green color of the guacamole, just remember to remove the seed before serving.
Serve with tortilla chips as tasty appetizer that goes perfectly with a refreshing cerveza!